Monday 8 August 2011

3D Model - Metal Sonic

I thought it was about time that I made a much more detailed model. At first I wasnt sure what to do, but as I am a huge Sonic The Hedgehog fan, I thought that I should make a model of one of the characters from the games. I decided to go with the robot character 'Metal Sonic', as I wanted to experiment with the mental ray option in 3DS Max, and I thought that using a character with a reflective body would be perfect.

Concept Art of Metal Sonic by SEGA


It took some time, but after several long hours, I made this:

My model of Metal Sonic

I am extremely happy with this model. When I started creating it, I never imagined that it would turn out as close to the original design as it has. It isnt without its faults though. Unfortunately there are a few traingle polygons. I did try to avoid these at all costs, but found that the only way to get rid of them was to add another line of polygons all the way around the model. I am trying to avoid creating models with excessive amount of polygons, so I decided not to fix the triangle polygons for this reason.

At the moment, the textures have simply been glossed up in order to give it a reflective look. I didnt get around to using mental ray because by the time I finished the model, I was so pleased with it that I just decided to leave it.

I am currently in the process of rigging the model and will then use it to create a short animation. I will apply mental ray to it then.


I finished this in july 2011.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home